Comms in a remote location
The first phase of the pipeline project stretching 125 kilometres has been awarded in a joint venture to two local construction partners of SASOL.
They soon realized that communication throughout the stretch of pipeline was of the upmost importance as there was no cellular communications in that remote part of Mozambique. Workers would need the ability to call for help in the case of an emergency.
During the construction period, a radio communication system would be needed for daily communication requirements and ensure the personnel security. After the pipeline construction, the radio communication system could be left for Sasol pipeline route maintenance, or can be removed to the next new construction area.
Hytera - the accessible anywhere solution
Hytera were approached to come up with a solution that would allow communications to be accessible anywhere alongside the current project. The solution is based on a reliable wide-coverage digital radio communication system and also an easily deployed power supply system.
After an extensive site survey was carried out along the proposed route, Hytera came up with the following solution:
- 7-Site RD98X Repeaters linked via 5.8 GHZ Microwave link
- 35-PD78X Portable Radios used by personnel roaming up & down the construction site
- 35-MD78X Mobile Radios were mounted in the construction vehicles
By carefully selecting and planning the correct positioning of the Repeater sites, Hytera came up with a solution to connect all the Repeaters via IP-Microwave links to each other. Yagi-Antennas are used to give the range in a straight line that is required to the next repeater.
Roaming function of the Hytera terminals give the advantage to allow the customer to either talk locally (in the same Repeater site) or throughout the network without having to select the repeater you are closest to, thus being able to connect to any radio throughout the network.
- The radios are robust with high ingress protection level, suitable for daily work in a construction environment.
- The repeater IP-connection and terminal emergency function can inter-connect all the subscribers to protect them from attack by wild animals or unexpected situations.
- Ace communications, a Hytera dealer in South Africa, supports supervision and commissioning during the project.
- Fast response during and after the project implementation, greatly increasing client satisfaction.
Future expansion possibility
This system can be either moved as the next phase of the construction requires or easily expanded to 'grow' with the length of the Pipeline.